Quick Facts About Yellow Jackets
• Can look similar to a hornet, but significantly smaller
• Are social insects and live in colonies that have up to 4,000 workers
• Most active in late Summer and early Autumn when colonies are at their peak
What does a Yellow Jacket look like?
• Their abdomens are typically black and yellow with a pattern resembling stripes
• Between 3/8” and 5/8” long
• 6 legs
What do Yellow Jackets eat?
• Yellow Jackets feed on proteins and sweets. This is why Yellow Jackets commonly invade outdoor events.
Where do Yellow Jackets live?
• Yellow Jackets can be found anywhere humans are found
• Their paper carton nests are built from chewed up cellulose
• Their nests can be found in the ground or in cavernous areas such as eaves and attics
Are Yellow Jackets dangerous?
• Yellow Jackets are extremely territorial
• They will definitely sting if threatened
• Yellow Jackets are known to sting repeatedly
• Yellow Jacket stings can produce an allergic reaction in humans
How can I prevent a Yellow Jacket infestation?
• Remove all garbage frequently, and keep trash can lids securely in place
• Ensure all door and window screens are secure
• Avoid wearing sweet-smelling perfumes
How do I get rid of Yellow Jackets?
• The Yellow Jackets’ ability to sting multiple times requires proper, professional equipment and protective clothing.
• If you suspect an infestation, it is recommended that you contact a licensed pest control specialist. Please call DKS Pest Control at (724) 478-5344.