Quick Facts About Subterranean Termites
• Most common species of termite found in Pennsylvania
• There are over 2,000 known species of termites
• Formosan termites are a species of subterranean termites and are the most destructive
• Formosan termites have not been found in Pennsylvania
What does a Termite look like?
• Creamy white to dark brown/black
• 1/8” in length
• Long and narrow, with a slight oval shape
What do Termites eat?
• Termites use their scissor-like jaws to eat wood and other cellulose material
Where do Termites live?
• In underground colonies with as many as 2 million members
• They build “mud tunnels” to reach food sources and protect themselves from open air
Are Termites dangerous?
• Subterranean termites are the most destructive termite species
• Given enough time, they can eat enough of the wood contained in a structure to cause fail and collapse
How can I prevent a Termite infestation?
• Avoid the accumulation of water near the foundation of your home
• Divert any water away by using proper downspouts, gutters, and splash guards
• Reduce humidity in basements and crawl spaces by providing proper ventilation
• Store firewood at least 20’ away from the home
• Keep mulch at least 15” away from the foundation
• Eliminate the possibility of wood portions of your home contacting the soil
How do I get rid of Termites?
• If you suspect an infestation, it is recommended that you contact a licensed pest control specialist. Please call DKS Pest Control at (724) 478-5344.